The Learning Resources Hands-on Learning Contest
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY: A purchase or payment of any kind will not increase your chances of winning.
2. Eligibility: The Learning Resources Hands-On Learning Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the United States and the District of Columbia who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry. Employees, officers and directors of Learning Resources, Inc., and any of their parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, licensees, advertising, promotion or production agencies (and their respectively IRS dependents, immediate family members and individuals residing in their same household) are not eligible to participate (“Entrant”). Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where taxed, restricted or otherwise prohibited by law.
3. Sponsor: Learning Resources, Inc., 380 North Fairway Drive, Vernon Hills, Illinois 60061.
4. Agreement to Official Rules: By participating in the Contest, entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and judges which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Whether an Entrant is eligible for a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, in any way attempt to interfere with this Contest or who in any way tamper with, circumvent, or abuse any aspect of this Contest, as solely determined by the Sponsors, shall be disqualified.
5. How to Enter: During the submission phase, Entrants must submit a video, no longer than 2 minutes in length and otherwise meeting the above referenced criteria (the “Entry”). Entries are to be submitted by visiting http://www.learningresources.com/handson and uploading the Entry. Entry must include name of entrant, email address, school district, state, favorite product branded by Sponsor, why it is Entrant’s favorite product, how they incorporate the product with technology in the classroom, and a brief demonstration of contestant’s use of Sponsor branded product. Sponsor may accept any Entry or any component thereof and may disqualify any entrant from the Contest if Sponsor believes, in its sole judgment, that any component of an Entry fails to conform to these Official Rules.
6. Timing and Evaluation of Entries: The Contest begins on January 10, 2011 at 12:01 am CST and ends on April 21, 2011 at 12:00 p.m. PST (the “Contest Period”). Sponsor's computer is the official time keeping device for the Contest. The top ten (3) Entries (the “Finalist Entries”) will be selected from all Entries by the Sponsor’s staff based on votes received in a secret ballot. Entries will be evaluated on creativity (30%), originality (30%), educational value and student engagement (30%), and comments (10%) (collectively, the “Entry Elements”). The top five (3) Finalist Entries will be featured on Sponsor's website via a link to http://www.learningresources.com/handsonEach top three (3) Finalist Entry will be given an aggregate score based on results from online polling which will take place from April 26, 2011 7:00 p.m. PST to April 29, 2011 12:01 am PST. Any tied entries will be re-judged based on originality and creativity. All judging decisions are final. The winner shall be announced during the week of May 2, 2011 (the “Announcement Date”) during Teacher Appreciation Week.
7. Entry Restrictions:
- Entries are limited to one (1) entry per contestant.
- The entry cannot have been submitted previously in a promotion of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly through any means;
- The entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to copy rights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, logos, contract and licensing rights, rights of publicity or privacy, moral rights, or any other intellectual property rights;
- The entry must not contain logos, brand names, or trademarks other than Sponsor’s logo, which entrant has a limited license to use only for sole purpose of creating an entry for this Contest;
- The entry must not contain any ideas or content that you consider proprietary;
- The entry must not contain material that is inappropriate, derogatory, indecent, obscene, hateful, slanderous or content that is otherwise not suitable for an audience of all ages;
- The entry must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the entry is created; and
- All Finalist Entries must have completed model releases signed by the individual or parent or guardian of the individuals so appearing. Model release forms are available at http://www.learningresources.com/handson .
Notwithstanding the above, the Entrant agrees that it has the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses provided herein, including without limitation, all necessary copyrights and other related rights to the Entry, free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity.
8. All Entries Become Property of Sponsor: All entries, including all ideas, information or any other tangible or intangible materials submitted by an entrant to Sponsor for any reason will become the exclusive property of Sponsor, and none will be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, modify in any way and publish any component of any entry materials, and may use them in any and all media worldwide, without limitation, without attribution and without compensation or consideration of any kind to the entrant, his/her successors or assigns, or any other entity. Submitting an entry in this Contest constitutes Entrant’s irrevocable assignment, conveyance and transference to Sponsor of any and all right, title and interest in all materials and any component thereof including, without limitation, all copyrights and indicates your acceptance of all contest rules and requirements.
9. Winner Requirements: Winner agrees to participate in media events surrounding the Contest at an agreed upon time and place for one (1) year following the Announcement Date. Sponsor will incur all reasonable travel expenses for winner to be able to participate in the media events. In addition to any rights that the Sponsor may have to the winning entry, the winners acceptance of the prize shall be deemed to grant Sponsor a royalty-free non-exclusive right and license to reproduce, modify display, transmit, adapt, publish, translate, distribute, or otherwise use the winner’s name, city, state, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and statements, materials and/or prize information in connection with the Contest, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide in perpetuity, and on the Internet and World Wide Web, without notice, review, limitation or approval and without further payment or consideration, except where prohibited by law. The winner will be required to complete, sign and return an affidavit of eligibility (including, but not limited to any model releases), a liability release and a publicity release, where lawful. If the affidavits/releases are not returned within seven (7) days of the date of receipt, or winner is found to be ineligible or not in compliance with these Office Rules or if prize notification is undeliverable, prize will be forfeited and alternate winner will be selected. Taxes on prize are solely the responsibility of the winner. Additionally, any potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that such winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. In case of dispute as to the identity of any entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. The authorized account holder is deemed to be the natural person who is assigned an e-mail address by an Internet Access Provider, on-line service provider or other organization which is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses.
10.Prize: One Grand Prize: $1,000 gift card from Sponsor good for merchandise on any of the Sponsor websites or catalogs, paid trip for two (2) adults (contestant and school principal) to Chicago to for a one day photo shoot to promote Sponsor’s product. Trip package includes two roundtrip, coach-class airfare, transportation from airport and one night stay in a hotel. Sponsor will determine airline, flight itinerary, ground transportation and choice of hotel in its sole discretion. All federal, state and local taxes are the winner's responsibility. The Grand Prize winner will be notified by telephone or email after completion of the Contest judging on April 9, 2009. Three (3) attempts will be made to notify the winner. If the third attempt is unsuccessful, the runner-up will be deemed the alternate winner, at the sole discretion of Sponsor. The winner will have seventy-two (72) hours from receipt of last attempted notification to accept the Grand Prize by contacting Sponsor by telephone or response email. Odds of winning depend upon number of eligible entries received.
12. RELEASE; HOLD HARMLESS: BY PARTICIPATING, ENTRANTS AND WINNER AGREE TO RELEASE AND HOLD SPONSOR AND ITS REPRESENTATIVES, AGENTS, SUCCESSORS, ASSIGNS, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS, HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, FOR LOSS, HARM, DAMAGE, INJURY, COST OR EXPENSE WHATSOEVER INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY AND/OR DEATH WHICH MAY OCCUR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR, PREPARATION FOR, TRAVEL TO, OR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST OR ANY CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY, YOUR POSSESSION, ACCEPTANCE AND/OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZES AND OTHER PRODUCTS PROVIDED, AND FOR ANY CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION, INVASION OF PRIVACY OR MERCHANDISE DELIVERY.
13. LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY: IN NO EVENT WILL SPONSOR BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING but not limited to DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF participation in the contest, YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF INTERNET SITE http://www.learningresources.com/handson OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THIS SITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OR LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
14.General Conditions: Sponsor is not responsible for technical, hardware, software, Internet, telephone or other communications malfunctions or errors, lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, stolen, returned or undelivered entries, or for lost, interrupted, unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider, website, telephone or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines or technical or failures of any kind, whether human, mechanical, electronic or network based, or incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry or other information or the failure to capture any such information, of which all such entries will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, at any time, if a technical issue (including, but not limited to, computer viruses, worms, bugs, tampering, hacking, non-authorized human intervention or technical failures) corrupts the administration, security, fairness or proper play, proper function or submission of entries of the Contest. In the event of fraud or similar grounds, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest, and/or select the winner from entries received prior to such action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. In addition, Sponsor is not responsible if Grand Prize or any other products cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations by any entity other than Sponsor, or for delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather, acts of terrorism, strike, lockout, requirements of any governmental authority or any other occurrence beyond the control of the Sponsor.
15. Disputes: Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prizes awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois or the appropriate Illinois State Court located in Chicago, Illinois; and (ii) all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with this Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Illinois, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Illinois.
16. Identification of Winner: For the name of the Grand Prize winner, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope after May 4, 2010 to:
Learning Resources, Inc
380 North Fairway Drive
Vernon Hills, Illinois 60061
ATTN: Learning Resources Hands-on Learning Contest