Learning Resources Announces Winners of Nationwide Teacher Grant
Three Educators Each Earn $2,000 in Portable Interactive Technology for Their Classrooms
Vernon Hills, IL (June 14, 2012) – Learning Resources, a leading global manufacturer of educational products, announces the winners of a nationwide teacher grant. Hosted by the online community WeAreTeachers, the grant program is designed to provide teachers with an opportunity to win portable interactive technology for their classrooms, while collaborating and sharing lesson plan strategies with educators across the country.
More than 600 educators responded to the grant that challenged: "How would you use portable interactive technology to create collaborative lessons?" After applying, they invited colleagues and friends to vote for their favorite lesson idea. All of the grant submissions are available online to provide a forum for teachers seeking new ideas and best practices for implementing technology into the classroom.
The three grand-prize winners earned 10,094 votes total, and the 612 total entries generated over 18,000 votes total. Each will receive a set of three now!Boards™ along with three GeoSafari Tuff Cams®, a prize package valued at $2,000.
The three grand-prize winners are:
- Elizabeth Lozano, 2nd grade reading coach from Kendale Lakes Elementary School in Miami, FL, for T.I.G.E.R.S.
- Holly Hawley, pre-K/kindergarten teacher from Centennial Elementary School, in McKeesport, PA, for Caps & Hats
- Kimberly Smith, 5th grade math teacher from Victoria Magathan Elementary School in Adelanto, CA, for School in Space–VMES
Additionally, two merit-based winners selected by a panel of teachers will each receive a now!Board and GeoSafari Tuff Cam, a prize package valued at $700.
The two merit-based winners are:
- Jennifer Katrein, 5th grade English language arts teacher from Munhall Elementary School in St. Charles, IL, for Shared Storylines Extreme
- Blu Beckers, 10th grade math teacher from Warrensburg High School in Warrensburg, MO, for Mathematics World Tour
"Congratulations to our grant winners, and thanks to the teachers who shared their creative lesson ideas with educators nationwide," said Wendy Zachrisen, educational marketing manager at Learning Resources. "We recognize that teachers are looking for affordable technology solutions to facilitate collaborative learning, and we are thrilled to provide free resources and lesson ideas for educators through this grant program."
now!Board turns any flat surface into an interactive whiteboard. With its compact size and simple set up, now!Board can transform any teaching space into an interactive learning environment for students within minutes. The portable technology works in any room, and is compatible with any projector and a computer. In addition to being flexible and versatile, now!Board is an affordable alternative to an installed interactive whiteboard.
With the GeoSafari Tuff Cam, students can safely and easily shoot their own video footage using a durable, kid-tested camera. Featuring a tough, rubber casing, intuitive point and shoot trigger, and easy-view screen, the 12 MP digital video camera is ideal for kid-produced video and still images. The GeoSafari Tuff Cam is perfect for class projects, field trips and other classroom implementations across the curriculum.
For more information about the Simple Technology product line, visit www.learningresources.com/simpletech.
About Learning Resources
Learning Resources is a leading global manufacturer of educational products that deliver unique multisensory learning experiences. For more than 25 years, teachers and parents have trusted the company's award-winning products to turn their classrooms and homes into creative and motivational environments where children find joy in learning and reach their full potential. Learning Resources is headquartered in Vernon Hills, Ill., with a European office based in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England. For more information, visit www.learningresources.com or call 1-800-333-8281.
- English Language Arts
- Geography/Social Studies
- Early Childhood
- Imaginative & Role Play
- Discovery & Exploration
- Games & Puzzles
- Critical Thinking
- English Language Arts
- Classroom Kits
- Skill Development
- Learning Styles
- Autism Spectrum
- Teacher Resources
For Your Classroom
- Classroom Activities
Tips for Your Classroom
- 10 Tips for Making Science Cross-Curricular
- 10 Tips for Using Reading Games
- 10 Tips to Organize Classroom for maximum Efficiency
- 5 Ways to Liven Up Student Response
- Overcoming Common Core Fears
- Demystifying Informational Text
- Cross-Curricular Math Tips that Rock
- Start the Year Off Right
- Build a Strong and Successful Common Core Classroom
- Tips and Tools to Help Your Students
- Simple Technology Activities
- Learning At Home
- Thinking About Critical Thinking
- Autism in the Classroom
- Tips for Intervention's "First Responders"
- Decorating Your Classroom
- Using Manipulatives in Reading Intervention
- Help ELLs See the Big Picture
- Research on the Benefits of Manipulatives
- Embrace Technology for Assessment
- Blaze New Paths to Understanding
- Product Information
- Product Videos
- Bonus Content