Help ELLs Navigate Classroom Learning
Activity 1: Vocabulary Magic, One Syllable at a Time
Spanish Language Arts
Students see instantly how words come together when you pull syllables from the El centro de las sílabas (Spanish Syllables Pocket Chart) and demonstrate how to combine them into words. Then give students a chance to build words on their own or in small groups. Once they master syllable combinations, encourage them to use the Reading Rods® Fonética y vocabulario (Phonics & Vocabulary) Kit to identify unique sounds and make words, rhymes, plurals and more. Be sure to leave time for play because group games like Mar de sílabas™ (Sea of Syllables) give opportunities to practice in fun social settings.
Activity 2: Hands-on Fun with Math
Math for ELLs
Working with color tiles, pattern blocks, tangrams and geoboards feels like play. That’s why students pay closer attention when the teacher uses them along with lessons from the Hands-On Standards: Photo-Illustrated Lessons for Teaching with Math Manipulatives, Grades 1-2 to teach early math skills. Let your students get a feel for the concepts of counting, measuring and performing operations in hands-on centers.
To assess skill levels, let students write or draw in journals. For a challenging reward, students can play games that require them to apply what they know. Check out the games section for games that target specific math skills you would like your students to practice.
Activity 3: Dueling Duos Doubles the Fun
Dual Language Programs
There's more than one way to say cat. Show how two words can represent a single object by teaming the Alphabet Center Pocket Chart with El centro del alfabeto (Spanish Alphabet Center Pocket Chart). Naming the same object in two languages helps students recognize and be alert to the crossover between the languages.
Send them off with partners and the spiral-bound Alphabet Big Book to practice word-building with words taken from their reading.
For Your Classroom
- Classroom Activities
Tips for Your Classroom
- 10 Tips for Making Science Cross-Curricular
- 10 Tips for Using Reading Games
- 10 Tips to Organize Classroom for maximum Efficiency
- 5 Ways to Liven Up Student Response
- Overcoming Common Core Fears
- Demystifying Informational Text
- Cross-Curricular Math Tips that Rock
- Start the Year Off Right
- Build a Strong and Successful Common Core Classroom
- Tips and Tools to Help Your Students
- Simple Technology Activities
Learning At Home
- Ready, Set, Learn!
- Bored No More
- Making the Most of Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Getting Involved
- Getting Your Child Ready For School
- Encouraging Healthy Eating Habits
- Traveling with Kids?
- Cool Summer Learning
- Progress Check
- The Power of Imaginative Play
- Teacher Gifts that Keep Giving
- The True Value of a Toy
- Personality Presents
- 10 Tips to Keep Your New Year's Resolutions Strong All Year Long
- Making Memories
- Thinking About Critical Thinking
- Autism in the Classroom
- Tips for Intervention's "First Responders"
- Decorating Your Classroom
- Using Manipulatives in Reading Intervention
- Help ELLs See the Big Picture
- Research on the Benefits of Manipulatives
- Embrace Technology for Assessment
- Blaze New Paths to Understanding
- What is STEM?
- Product Information
- Product Videos
- Bonus Content