Celebrate Chinese New Year with Tangrams!
February 8th is Chinese New Year - The year of the monkey. What better way to celebrate than by delving into tradition by taking on tangrams and solving ancient Chinese puzzles!
This ancient game originated in China and is made up of 7 geometric shapes: 5 isosceles triangles in 3 sizes, 1 square, and 1 parallelogram. The object is to move and rotate these 7 shapes to create a square, rectangle, triangle or countless creative images, like animals, boats, and people. There are a few parameters to follow.
All pieces must:
- Be used
- Lay flat
- Not overlap
The puzzles or designs to recreate using the "tans" are typically printed in an outline form or silhouette, although easier versions provide the exact placement for kids to see and use.
Tangrams are a way for kids and adults to exercise their brains. There are many academic and developmental benefits from this simple puzzle. Visual spatial skills, logical thinking, and problem solving are at the forefront as children flip and rotate pieces to create the desired shape. Creativity is explored, not only by visualizing and recreating designs, but by making unique masterpieces with the seven shapes. And certainly math comes into play here. Tangrams take math from intimidating to entertaining as children are introduced to mathematical concepts like congruency, symmetry, area, perimeter and geometry while solving puzzles and creating pictures.
Tangrams are ideal for intergenerational fun. Spanning kids to grandparents, these mental challenges capture interest and intrigue, and are great for after dinner entertainment while still seated at the table. Make it a cooperative activity with everyone working together to match and solve each puzzle. Or take a page from traditional Chinese storytelling and arrange the tans to identify characters in your story. As the story continues, rearrange the tans to represent new elements in the tale. Or stir up some friendly competition and have a timed race and see who can solve a puzzle the fastest. But make sure you put a barrier up, like standing a binder on end or blocking your work with a box, so others don't learn from your trials and shave time off their own!
So celebrate Chinese New Year by enjoying time together with Tangrams! Check out our full line of Tangrams.
- English Language Arts
- Geography/Social Studies
- Early Childhood
- Imaginative & Role Play
- Discovery & Exploration
- Games & Puzzles
- Critical Thinking
- English Language Arts
- Classroom Kits
- Skill Development
- Learning Styles
- Autism Spectrum
- Teacher Resources
For Your Classroom
- Classroom Activities
Tips for Your Classroom
- 10 Tips for Making Science Cross-Curricular
- 10 Tips for Using Reading Games
- 10 Tips to Organize Classroom for maximum Efficiency
- 5 Ways to Liven Up Student Response
- Overcoming Common Core Fears
- Demystifying Informational Text
- Cross-Curricular Math Tips that Rock
- Start the Year Off Right
- Build a Strong and Successful Common Core Classroom
- Tips and Tools to Help Your Students
- Tips to Add STEM into your Classroom
- Strategies to Support the Autism Spectrum in Your Classroom
- Starting Out With Math Manipulatives
- Setting Up for Classroom Success
- 6 Tips to Support Self Esteem in your Students
- 11 Tips for Spelling Success
- STEMify Your Speech. STEMify Your Class!
- Simple Technology Activities
Learning At Home
- Ready, Set, Learn!
- Bored No More
- Making the Most of Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Getting Involved
- Getting Your Child Ready For School
- Encouraging Healthy Eating Habits
- Traveling with Kids?
- Cool Summer Learning
- Progress Check
- The Power of Imaginative Play
- Teacher Gifts that Keep Giving
- The True Value of a Toy
- Personality Presents
- 10 Tips to Keep Your New Year's Resolutions Strong All Year Long
- Making Memories
- Family Game Night
- Discover STEM
- Top 10 Product Picks for Kids with Autism
- Top Picks for Summer Learning for Kids with Special Needs
- Outdoor Learning, Outdoor Fun
- Plan for Summer Learning
- Tips to Help Kids Start the School Year Strong
- 5 Questions to Ask at Open House
- Halloween Treats
- Science Fairs: Simple Steps to Success
- Halloween Costumes
- Halloween Party – Mad Scientist Mania
- Parent-Teacher Conference: 7 Questions Moms & Dads Need To Ask
- The Present Personalizer: A Guide to Picking Gifts By Personality
- Special Holidays, Special Needs: 10 Tips for Moms!
- Thinking About Critical Thinking
- Autism in the Classroom
- Tips for Intervention's "First Responders"
- Decorating Your Classroom
- Using Manipulatives in Reading Intervention
- Help ELLs See the Big Picture
- Research on the Benefits of Manipulatives
- Embrace Technology for Assessment
- Blaze New Paths to Understanding
- What is STEM?
- Product Information
- Product Videos
- Bonus Content
- Activity and Coloring Pages