Encouraging Healthy Eating Habits
Making Healthy Eating Part of Your Family's Routine
Most parents are aware of the importance of healthy eating and living. However, it is not always easy to take these steps when everyone is juggling busy schedules, and convenience food, such as fast food, is so readily available. Learning Resources®, a leading manufacturer of educational toys and products, offers some tips on encouraging healthy eating habits:
Make it a family affair
Let your kids help you prepare the meal. Make cooking fun and interesting. And when you are finished, eat together. According to a recent study in the journal Archives of Family Medicine, a family that eats together, eats better.
Offer sensible snacks
Light, between-meal snacks are important for keeping your kids' energy levels up. Instead of cookies or candy, give them sweet-but-nutrient-rich snacks like fresh fruit, dried fruit like raisins, or a small treat of yogurt and banana slices.
Talk about healthy eating choices
Talk with your children about different foods and what they do to help keep us healthy. Also, encourage your children to play with healthy food toys such as the New Sprouts® Healthy Basket Bundle or New Sprouts® Healthy Snack Set in their imaginative play.
Make time for physical activity
Make physical activity a family activity. Every night after dinner in the summer, go for a half-hour walk and make it an activity that kids look forward to. Offer your children toys and games that encourage physical activity.
Encourage healthy eating away from home
Make sure your children's meals outside the home are balanced. Find out more about their school lunch program, or pack their lunch to include a variety of foods. Also, select healthier items when dining at restaurants.
Finally, if your child is a fussy eater, keep in mind that most kids go through periods where they'll eat only certain foods. Try to find creative ways to get them to eat things they otherwise might not, for example, offering a dipping sauce like hummus or low-fat salad dressing for eating veggies.
Healthy eating and being physically active are keys to a healthy lifestyle. Whether your kid is a toddler or a teen, parents can take steps to improve nutrition and encourage smart eating habits.
- English Language Arts
- Geography/Social Studies
- Early Childhood
- Imaginative & Role Play
- Discovery & Exploration
- Games & Puzzles
- Critical Thinking
- English Language Arts
- Classroom Kits
- Skill Development
- Learning Styles
- Autism Spectrum
- Teacher Resources
For Your Classroom
- Classroom Activities
Tips for Your Classroom
- 10 Tips for Making Science Cross-Curricular
- 10 Tips for Using Reading Games
- 10 Tips to Organize Classroom for maximum Efficiency
- 5 Ways to Liven Up Student Response
- Overcoming Common Core Fears
- Demystifying Informational Text
- Cross-Curricular Math Tips that Rock
- Start the Year Off Right
- Build a Strong and Successful Common Core Classroom
- Tips and Tools to Help Your Students
- Tips to Add STEM into your Classroom
- Strategies to Support the Autism Spectrum in Your Classroom
- Starting Out With Math Manipulatives
- Simple Technology Activities
Learning At Home
- Ready, Set, Learn!
- Bored No More
- Making the Most of Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Getting Involved
- Getting Your Child Ready For School
- Encouraging Healthy Eating Habits
- Traveling with Kids?
- Cool Summer Learning
- Progress Check
- The Power of Imaginative Play
- Teacher Gifts that Keep Giving
- The True Value of a Toy
- Personality Presents
- 10 Tips to Keep Your New Year's Resolutions Strong All Year Long
- Making Memories
- Family Game Night
- Discover STEM
- Top 10 Product Picks for Kids with Autism
- Top Picks for Summer Learning for Kids with Special Needs
- Outdoor Learning, Outdoor Fun
- Plan for Summer Learning
- Tips to Help Kids Start the School Year Strong
- Thinking About Critical Thinking
- Autism in the Classroom
- Tips for Intervention's "First Responders"
- Decorating Your Classroom
- Using Manipulatives in Reading Intervention
- Help ELLs See the Big Picture
- Research on the Benefits of Manipulatives
- Embrace Technology for Assessment
- Blaze New Paths to Understanding
- What is STEM?
- Product Information
- Product Videos
- Bonus Content
- Activity and Coloring Pages