Easi-Speak™ Expression - Learning Resources®
Download Printer Friendly Version
- Skills: Listening, Speaking, Observing, Phrasing
- Grades: 1-3
- Time: 10-15 Minutes
- Materials: Easi-Speak, grade-level appropriate books found in the classroom
- Work with individual students. Provide each student with a grade-level book that contains dialogue and a variety of sentence types.
- Read a few sentences for the child and record your reading with Easi-Speak. Point out the different types of punctuation that help identify sentences as questions, exclamations, or statements.
- Have the student identify and write two or more examples of a question, an exclamation, or a statement and tell you what types of punctuation are used in each sentence.
- Then have the student ready and record a passage from the book with Easi-Speak.
- Have the student listen to his or her recording and point out the punctuation that affects his or her phrasing, tone, and expression. The student self-assesses the reading and repeats the activity.
- Listen to the recording and document students' ability to read with appropriate intonation and phrasing.
- Pairs of students do the activity together. Have one student read and record a passage while the other student follows along in the book. Students model reading with expression for one another.